Friday, February 7, 2014

Meet a Member: Sharon Brule

Sharon at a quilting retreat
When did you begin quilting?
I don't remember exactly when I began quilting. I have been sewing since I was in a junior high class and became addicted to fabric. I remember using a domestic machine then to quilt an E2E pattern over fabric I liked so that I could make twin bedspreads in the fabric I wanted. It probably wasn't until I had children and the need to make that special baby blanket motivated me to start along the quilting path.

Why do you quilt?
I quilt because I enjoy creating something with my own hands. I love to pick fabrics that I think are special and see something come together from them. To me there is something special about items people make for you. They carry a bit of history of that person with them.

What new technique are you hoping to learn this year?
I don't think I have any specific technique in mind to learn (although that ever elusive perfect 1/4" seam seems like a good challenge) mainly I am along for the ride.

Why modern quilting?
As far as modern goes I so appreciate the modern fabrics. The patterns are less fussy so I am not worried that the quilt police will remark on my less than perfect corners. Although I truly respect the skill involved in the piecing of the more traditional patterns, I don't always have that kind of time to devote to one top.

What is your favorite sewing or quilting tool?
A favorite tool for quilting is transparency and a vis-a-vis pen. I lay the sheet on top of top and practice sketch out the patterns I might like to quilt across the top. If I come up with one I like I take a picture so that I can have a reference when I go to quilt it.

Why did you join the GLMQG?
I joined GLMQG because a number of my quilting friends were starting it up and I admired the direction their quilting was going.

What random fun fact about yourself can you share?
Random fact that can be amusing is that I am a member of SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) and my cowgirl name is Calico Belle.

1 comment: